Palliative Care Models
More Recipes for Success from Palliative Care Programs (part two)
Updated August 12, 2019 | By CAPC Staff
This blog post is a continuation of a recent post, which resurfaced episodes from CAPC's podcast, Palliative Care Program Spotlight—a four-season audio journey that highlights successes and challenges faced by CAPC member organizations of all sizes and settings. Through our interviews, we've discovered many common themes amongst our member palliative care programs, and in the field. We've outlined a continuation of the themes below:
Making the Case with Data
Anecdotal evidence can go a long way in showing impact, but quantifying the efficacy of your program with hard data will always give your program an edge. That’s why data is constantly on the minds of program leaders—it can help sell the program to organizational leaders, and can also help a team track its performance in finding the right patients. The process can be time consuming, but good data can be a difference maker. In these episodes, leaders share successes and lessons learned in showing value through metrics.
- Showing Your Program’s Value and Return on Investment, featuring UT Southwestern Medical Center (Texas)
- Using Data to Find the Right Patients (Ohio), featuring Fidelity Health Care
- Collecting and Leveraging Data, featuring Community Regional Medical Center (California)
- Utilizing Palliative Care Data, featuring Motion Picture and Television Fund (California)
Managing Growing Pains
As you may already know, the job of the palliative care leader is never done—even enormous success and growth comes with a new (but exciting) challenges. In these episodes, program leaders discuss how they scaled properly to meet the growing needs of their patients, as their programs hit their strides:
- Overcoming the Challenges of Successful Growth, featuring Chapters Health Palliative Care (Florida)
- Navigating Success and Managing Growing Pains, featuring Transitions Lifecare (North Carolina)
- Overcoming Growing Pains, featuring Community Health Network (Indiana)
- Managing Program Growth, featuring Flagstaff Medical Center (Arizona)
Bringing Palliative Care into the Community Setting
While expanding or starting a program in the community has many benefits, success doesn’t happen overnight. In these episodes, leaders describe how they built partnerships, scaled, and managed staff to cover territory, adjust payment models, and fought for the resources to turn their good ideas into a reality:
- Expanding into the Outpatient Setting: Challenges and Success Stories, featuring Norton Healthcare (Kentucky)
- Starting and Sustaining an Outpatient Palliative Care Program, featuring Trinity Health (Ohio)
- Palliative Care in the Community Setting: Making the Case, featuring UC Davis Health System (California)
- Palliative Care in the Community Setting: Starting a Program, featuring Home Hospice of Grayson County (Texas)
- Building Community Partnerships, featuring Senior CommUnity Care (Colorado)
- Expanding Palliative Care into the Home Setting, featuring Denver Hospice, Option Health Services (Ohio)
Marketing Your Palliative Care Team
On the Program Spotlight podcast, many palliative care leaders have described how managing a palliative care program is like running a small business. In addition to caring for your patients, keeping your program thriving means constantly reinforcing your value to your organization, patients, and the community. That’s why many programs are investing time and resources into marketing their programs, which the following programs do well:
- Marketing Your Palliative Care Team, featuring Chautauqua Hospice & Palliative Care (New York)
- Building a Program from the Ground Up, featuring Butler Health System (Pennsylvania)
- Educating the Community on Palliative Care, featuring Holland Home Palliative Care (Michigan)
To listen to more recipes for success, visit CAPC’s Program Spotlight Page where you can access all episodes of the podcast!
Related PostsView more
Program Spotlight: Showing Your Program's Value and Return on Investment
A palliative care program director discusses the importance of establishing processes and metrics for grant funding, and beyond.
Program Spotlight: Expanding into the Outpatient Setting
Listen to a palliative care program director share her team's story about expanding services beyond the hospital.
Recipes for Success from Palliative Care Programs (part one)
Curated episodes of CAPC's podcast, based on trends that we found amongst member palliative care programs, and in the field.