What You’ll Learn
- Describe the prevalence of depression among people with serious illness and its impact on quality of life
- Recognize that depression is treatable
- Identify the importance of screening for depression
- Deploy evidence-based strategies for the treatment of depression
What You’ll Earn
After completing the course, you’ll earn a Verification of Attendance certificate.
CAPC members can earn the following free continuing education credits:
- Case Management: 1.00 CE
- Licensed Professional Counselors: 1.00 CE
- Medicine: 0.75 CME, 0.75 ABIM MOC (Medical Knowledge Only)
- Nursing: 1.00 CNE, 0.50 Pharmacotherapy
- Social Work: 1.00 CE (NYSED)
- Social Work: 1.00 CE (NASW)
This course is open-to-all at no cost.Start
Take the course
Download your certificate
Tools & Resources
Used to screen, diagnose and measure the severity of depression.
Key terms related to symptom management. Center to Advance Palliative Care, 2017.
Course citations. Center to Advance Palliative Care, 2017.
Screening and and assessment of depression in patients with advanced cancer.
Screening tools for depression and recommendations for their use.
Practical tools to support health professionals in addressing the emotional needs of patients and caregivers. Published by Dignity in Care, 2016.
Taxonomic and diagnostic tool for mental disorders published by the American Psychiatric Association (APA).
Drew Rosielle, MD, FAAHPM. Palliative Care, Fairview Health Services, University of Minnesota Medical School.
Lolita Melhado, MSN, ARNP, FNP-BC. Family Nurse Practitioner/Palliative Care, Gulf Coast Medical Center - Lee Memorial Health System.
Philip Higgins, PhD, LICSW. President, Lighthouse Counseling of Salem, Inc.
Amy Case, MD, FAAHPM. Associate Professor of Oncology, Chair, Department of Supportive Care.*
Melissa Bakar, MD. Assistant Professor, Geriatrics and Palliative Medicine, Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai.*
Linda Pang, MD. Fellow, Geriatrics and Palliative Medicine, Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai.
*indicates ABIM Peer Reviewer