Palliative Social Work Fellowship
Poughkeepsie, NY, United States
Nuvance Health is offering a one-year, post-graduate fellowship in palliative social work beginning July 1, 2024. The program will be based at Vassar Brothers Medical Center in Poughkeepsie, NY. The Palliative Social Work Fellow will work and train as part of an interdisciplinary palliative care service which includes physicians, physician fellows, APRNs, social workers, and chaplains.
Learning will be experiential and achieved through doing the work of providing psychosocial care to patients/families living with serious, life-threatening illness. Other educational activities include participation in daily rounds, didactic lectures, journal club, and complex case reviews and debriefings. The palliative social work fellow will complete a quality improvement project as well as create and deliver an educational presentation. Supervision is provided by an experienced palliative social worker and may be counted toward clinical licensure. The program is designed to foster future leaders in the field of palliative and hospice social work.
The Palliative Social Work Fellow will rotate through various settings including inpatient consult service, hospice, and community-based palliative care programs such as oncology and home care.
The program includes an annual stipend of $45,000 as well as benefits such as health insurance and paid time off.
Nuvance Health is an integrated, not-for-profit health care system serving the Mid-Hudson Valley region of New York as well as western Connecticut. Nuvance operates seven hospitals and a comprehensive network of medical and allied health services. It cares for diverse populations living across urban, suburban, and rural areas.
Eligible applicants must possess:
• An MSW degree from a CSWE-accredited school prior to start date.
• A NYS LMSW or LCSW license prior to starting the program. Limited permit is acceptable.
• U.S. citizenship or authorization to work in the United States
Those wishing to apply should email the following to [email protected] by March 22, 2024. Please send documents in one email using Word/PDF format with the subject line Fellowship Application:
• A copy of your resume/CV
• A copy of your NYS Social Work License (those not yet graduated with MSW may submit prior to start date)
• An unofficial MSW program transcript
• Two letters of recommendation, preferably from a clinical supervisor as well as an interdisciplinary colleague who is familiar with your work
• A personal statement reflecting your interests in palliative care, reasons for applying to the fellowship, prior experience, and educational objectives.
If you have questions regarding the program, please contact Jordan Nichols per below.
Jordan Nichols, LCSW, APHSW-C
Manager, Palliative Social Work
24 Hospital Avenue
Danbury, CT 06810
Attn: Dawn Whitten
E-mail: [email protected]