Nurse Practitioner Palliative Care
October 1, 2019
Holy Cross Health
Silver Spring, MD, United States
This position supports Holy Cross Health, which includes Holy Cross Hospital, Holy Cross Germantown Hospital, and Holy Cross Health Network. Employees have a primary work site for supporting the health system. At times, the site may be subject to change, depending on the needs of the organization. General Summary: Collaborates with Palliative Care Medical Director, and is member of palliative care team. As member of team, performs and documents assessments and consultations on patients, provides staff and patient education, and works with team in developing palliative care program. Functions within standards, policies, procedures, and guidelines for organization. Supports Mission of Trinity Health and Holy Cross Health.
Minimum Licensure & Certification Required (if applicable):
1. License from Maryland Board of Nursing or Compact State as Registered Nurse (RN).
2. License as Nurse Practitioner (NP) in State of Maryland, with NP attestation form on file with Maryland Board of Nursing.
3. Controlled Dangerous Substance (CDS) license from Maryland Division of Drug Control, and registration with Drug Enforcement Administration (DEA).
4. BLS Healthcare Provider certification from American Heart Association.
Minimum Knowledge, Skills & Abilities Required:
1. Minimum of three (3) years of experience in nursing; minimum of two (2) years of experience in pain management, hospice or palliative care preferred.
2. Effective verbal and written communication skills.
3. Strong interpersonal skills.
4. EPEC (Education in Palliative & End of Life Care) and ELNEC (End of Life Nursing Education Consortium) training preferred, or completion of program with similar content and competencies.
5. Ability to independently perform palliative care consultations, and develop care plan consistent with patient and family goals.
6. Experience in conducting family meetings and discussing goals of care.
7. Understanding of concept of comfort care, and ability to transition patients to comfort care plan, including palliative ventilator extubation.
8. Training and experience in managing pain, prescribing opioids (all routes: oral, subcutaneous, intravenous, transdermal, transmucosal, and rectal), PCA (Patient Controlled Analgesia) pumps, rapid opioid titration, and managing non-pain symptoms.
9. Consults with palliative care physician or designee, as needed, informs primary physician of services provided, and collaborates with other physicians, as needed.
10. Assists in all facets of care coordination for palliative care referrals.
11. Prepares and maintains accurate patient records, charts and documents, to support sound medical practice and reimbursement for services provided.
12. Assists in development of clinical practice guidelines and standards in support of quality palliative care.
13. Adheres to practice of confidentiality regarding patients, families, staff, and organization.
14. Must have visual and auditory acuity.
15. Uses computer and automated technology appropriately.
Holy Cross Health is an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) employer.
Qualified applicants are considered for employment without regard to Minority/Female/Disabled/Veteran (M/F/D/V) status.
We provide equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibit discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.
This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training
- Apply online: https://jobs.trinity-health.org/search/jobdetails/nurse-practitioner/6983d093-d366-4ca0-afd8-5e54895d2309