CCMI Announces 2023 Request for Applications (RFAs) for New VBID Participating Plans
The Center for Medicare and Medicaid Innovation (CMMI) has released a new request for applications for Medicare Advantage (MA) plans to cover hospice benefits, due Friday, April 15, 2022. This new round of applications will likely expand the number of plans and the geographic availability of MA coverage of hospice benefits. In addition, all MA plans participating in the Value-Based Insurance Design (VBID) Hospice Benefit Component must develop a strategy to provide palliative care to their members not electing hospice, and to provide at least one month of concurrent curative and hospice coverage.
CAPC has resources that can help hospices navigate these new relationships and opportunities, including:
- An initial summary of the VBID Hospice Carve-in, which was written in early 2020.
- The Value-Based Payment Toolkit, which can help hospices to negotiate payments and be good partners to MA plans. Specific resources include:
- Payment Quick Tips: Value-based Payment Introduction
- Payment Quick Tips: Payment Partnerships
- Financial Analysis and Budgeting Tool spreadsheet, along with an explanatory Guide
- Anticipating Stakeholder Reactions, to help programs when they encounter push-back or difficulties in negotiations
- Tips for Hiring Lawyers and Actuaries
MA plans can get the resources they need in CAPC’s Health Plan Toolkit, which is open to all.