PCLC at Virginia Commonwealth University (VCU), Massey Cancer Center
Brian CasselPhD, Palliative Care Researcher and Administrator
Mary Ann HagerMSN, Massey Cancer Center Administration
Danielle NoreikaMD, Palliative Care Medical Director
Available In-Person Training Dates
VCU Massey Cancer Center Services At-A-Glance
VCU is an 865-bed academic medical center providing care to a significant radius of central Virginia. Our status as both a Level 1 trauma center and a statewide safety net hospital contributes to having a diverse patient population. VCU’s palliative care service includes a palliative care unit, inpatient consultative service, and an outpatient supportive care clinic. An eleven-bed inpatient unit allows our interdisciplinary team to provide care for patients with complex symptom management needs. Our seven-days-per-week inpatient consultative service provides care for patients in all clinical spaces at VCU including acute care medicine, the Emergency Department, surgery, trauma, or any of the five adult intensive care units. Today VCU’s supportive care clinic has grown such that multiple providers treat patients five days per week in several clinical locations. We are integrated into the VCU Division of Hematology/Oncology and Palliative care and ESMO-certified in integrated oncology care. American Hospital Association Circle of Life award winner.
Key benefits of training at VCU include:
- Observation of fully-integrated inpatient and outpatient palliative care program, which is part of VCU’s Division of Hematology, Oncology, and Palliative Care
- Insight into interdisciplinary-team care in inpatient and outpatient settings, including in a palliative care unit with 24/7 physician/nursing staffing support
- Access to expertise in the business side of palliative medicine--Dr. Cassel has authored over 20 articles and chapters in financial outcomes and metrics in all operational settings
- Expertise in utilizing databases to capture and track key palliative care clinical and financial measures
- Access to a VCU physician who is boarded in colorectal surgery and palliative care and who is helping to promote integration of palliative care for surgery patients
- Experience in how to develop a telemedicine program to provide remote areas with palliative consultative support
- Multiple areas of research and QI projects including delirium, pediatric palliative care, palliative care in surgery, anorexia/cachexia, risk assessment in opioid prescribing, etc.
Other Locations & In-Person Training Dates
An early adopter and national leader in delivering quality hospice services, Bluegrass is a pioneer in developing new program models that respond to the evolving needs of seriously ill patients and their families . It also has a rich history of exploring models that are both high quality and financially sustainable. . . .
- Sep 11–12, 2018
- Oct 16–17, 2018
With program longevity of 18 years, and the early development of clinics, the program at Fairview is part of a large nonprofit health care system working in hospitals, primary and specialty clinics, home care, hospice, and senior services. It has a strong focus on rural and community hospitals . . .
- Sep 12–14, 2018
Mount Carmel was one of the first PCLCs and has trained over 175 teams. Its hospice services and palliative care services are provided in acute palliative care units, consultatively across all hospitals, and in the community, from private residences to long-term care facilities and more . . .
- Jun 28–29, 2018
- Sep 20–21, 2018
The largest integrated health system in New York State, based on patient revenue, and the 14th-largest health care system in the United States. Inpatient palliative care teams, outpatient practices, and post-acute services are fully integrated to deliver care across the system . . .
- Sep 26–28, 2018
- Oct 3–5, 2018
A not-for-profit health care system with a focus on community-based palliative care. In addition to its eight hospitals, Presbyterian’s system includes a multi-specialty medical group and a statewide health plan. The system is also known nationally for integrating health care financing and delivery . . .
- Aug 23–24, 2018
- Oct 18–19, 2018
A mature program with a large scope, breadth of expertise, and divese patients populations. Provides services that include inpatient consultations at three hospitals and inpatient palliative care units; and community-based palliative care services, such as a supportive care and survivorship clinic and telehealth research program . . .
- May 31–Jun 1, 2018
- Sep 11–12, 2018
- Oct 23–24, 2018
A palliative care inpatient consult service and an outpatient clinic in an academic medical center with hospitalist leadership. UCSF also specializes in pediatrics and palliative care in the home and assisted living . . .
- Sep 25–26, 2018
- Dec 18–19, 2018
- Mar 21–22, 2019
UVA’s extensive palliative care program includes an office based palliative care clinic associated with an inpatient consultation service, as well as home and inpatient hospices. It has a large outpatient service embedded in both the oncology and heart-failure clinics. It is also a leader in EMR integration. . . .
- Jun 7–8, 2018
- Oct 4–5, 2018