PCLC at University of Alabama at Birmingham (UAB) Medical Center
Marie BakitasDNSc, NP-C, FAAN, Associate Director, UAB Center for Palliative Care; Professor, School of Nursing
Jennifer HicksMSHA, MBA, Administrative Director, UAB Center for Palliative Care
UAB Medical Center At-A-Glance
The UAB Center for Palliative and Supportive Care provides clinical services to patients with serious illness at several facilities: the UAB Hospital, the Birmingham Veterans Administration Medical Center, and Children’s of Alabama Hospital. UAB Hospital is the largest comprehensive medical facility in Alabama and one of the largest academic medical centers in the country. The Birmingham VA Medical Center is a 144-bed acute care facility providing tertiary medical and surgical care to veterans of Alabama and surrounding states. Located adjacent to the UAB Hospital campus, Children’s of Alabama is the third largest pediatric medical facility in the U.S. UAB palliative and supportive care services include inpatient consultations at all three locations—including palliative care units at UAB and the VA—and community-based palliative care services via a Supportive Care and Survivorship Clinic and a telehealth research program.
Key benefits of training with UAB include:
- Strategies for gaining C-suite support and creating positive culture change
- Guidance for creating effective program marketing strategies starting with an “elevator pitch”
- Ideas for gaining community support for palliative care programs via development activities and by engaging a community advisory board
- Access to seasoned experts from three campuses: Birmingham Veterans Administration Medical Center, UAB Hospital, and Children’s of Alabama Hospital
- Guidance into attaining strong physician buy-in, resulting in high volumes of referrals at all clinical sites
- Insight into the development of an ambulatory clinical program with over fifteen years of patient care experience
- Information about working with an active telehealth research program and assistance developing a telehealth/teleconsult clinical program
- Opportunities to work alongside interdisciplinary teams including doctors, nurses, advanced practice providers, physical therapists, massage therapists, counselors, psychologists, nutritionists, chaplains, social workers, and others
- Exposure to an extensive collaborative practice with nursing staff and advanced practice practitioners, including an academic palliative care nursing subspecialty program for nurse practitioners, DNP, and PhD students
Other Locations & In-Person Training Dates
An early adopter and national leader in delivering quality hospice services, Bluegrass is a pioneer in developing new program models that respond to the evolving needs of seriously ill patients and their families . It also has a rich history of exploring models that are both high quality and financially sustainable. . . .
- Sep 11–12, 2018
- Oct 16–17, 2018
With program longevity of 18 years, and the early development of clinics, the program at Fairview is part of a large nonprofit health care system working in hospitals, primary and specialty clinics, home care, hospice, and senior services. It has a strong focus on rural and community hospitals . . .
- Sep 12–14, 2018
Mount Carmel was one of the first PCLCs and has trained over 175 teams. Its hospice services and palliative care services are provided in acute palliative care units, consultatively across all hospitals, and in the community, from private residences to long-term care facilities and more . . .
- Sep 13–14, 2018
The largest integrated health system in New York State, based on patient revenue, and the 14th-largest health care system in the United States. Inpatient palliative care teams, outpatient practices, and post-acute services are fully integrated to deliver care across the system . . .
- Oct 3–5, 2018
A not-for-profit health care system with a focus on community-based palliative care. In addition to its eight hospitals, Presbyterian’s system includes a multi-specialty medical group and a statewide health plan. The system is also known nationally for integrating health care financing and delivery . . .
- Aug 23–24, 2018
- Oct 18–19, 2018
A palliative care inpatient consult service and an outpatient clinic in an academic medical center with hospitalist leadership. UCSF also specializes in pediatrics and palliative care in the home and assisted living . . .
- Sep 25–26, 2018
- Dec 18–19, 2018
- Mar 21–22, 2019
UVA’s extensive palliative care program includes an office based palliative care clinic associated with an inpatient consultation service, as well as home and inpatient hospices. It has a large outpatient service embedded in both the oncology and heart-failure clinics. It is also a leader in EMR integration. . . .
- Oct 4–5, 2018
A statewide safety-net hospital and Level 1 trauma center with palliative care services, including a palliative care unit, inpatient consultation, and an outpatient supportive care clinic. The inpatient consultative service provides care for patients in all of VCU’s clinical spaces, including acute care medicine, the emergency department, surgery, trauma, and intensive care units . . .
- Oct 9–10, 2018