Improving the Care of Serious Illness Though Innovative Payer-Provider Partnerships: A Palliative Care Toolkit and Resource Guide
Download the Payer-Provider Toolkit
Multiple studies have shown that palliative care services result in less symptom distress and longer patient survival, as well as better patient and family quality of life. These improvements in quality result in the reduced need for crisis interventions and hospitalizations, thus enabling patients to spend more time enjoying what matters most to them. At the same time, palliative care also markedly reduces spending.
In order to improve access to this high-value care, payers, providers and communities are working together to find new ways to deliver and finance palliative care. This toolkit is meant to serve as a reference guide for organizations that lead the financing of health care (including commercial insurers, self-funded employers, and federal and state government agencies) and for providers working in shared risk arrangements.
- Defines palliative care and demonstrates its importance to improving value in health care
- Identifies opportunities to integrate palliative care into payer programs and products
- Highlights case examples from industry leaders that demonstrate what payers are already doing to advance palliative care initiatives
- Provides tools, check lists and action plans to get you started
- Offers resources for payers, employers and providers, including palliative care quality standards and best practices, and checklists to support opportunities and action within payer organizations
The toolkit will help you learn how payers and providers can collaborate to help an aging population with complex care needs. The imperative to help our sickest, most costly and most vulnerable patients has never been greater, but solutions are within reach.
“We, payers and providers alike, have an opportunity to collaborate to advance palliative care programs and principles that can truly transform our nation’s health care system, and improve outcomes and experiences for all Americans with a serious illness, and their families.
At Cambia Health Solutions, we are adopting many of the strategies included in this toolkit to improve care for our members. We are developing and implementing a comprehensive approach to palliative care service delivery including both benefit expansion and specialized care management for members with a serious illness.
We believe these initiatives will greatly enhance quality while creating a community of care that ensures that each person’s values and goals of care are expressed, understood and honored.”
- Mark Ganz, JD, CEO Cambia Health Solutions