September 2011 eNews
PCLC Hits New High: 1,000 Teams Trained!
Palliative Care Leadership Centers™ (PCLC) has officially trained over 1,000 teams! Palliative care teams in US hospitals have more than doubled in the last 10 years. PCLCs have worked diligently to help that number grow. Eighty percent of PCLC-trained programs are up and running within two years. PCLC training ensures sustainability and growth for established programs.
Enroll for 2011 Training
The Joint Commission Launches Advanced Certification for Palliative Care
The Joint Commission (TJC) accredited hospitals now have the option of seeking Advanced Certification for Palliative Care. Access CAPC tools and resources useful for meeting certification standards. Also, this year, The Joint Commission will be on-site at the CAPC National Seminar to answer your questions about the new Advanced Certification for Palliative Care.
Commission on Cancer Releases New Standards
The Commission on Cancer released the newly revised manual, Cancer Program Standards 2012: Ensuring Patient-Centered Care. The manual includes robust palliative care standards. This represents an important step towards the recognition that all cancer patients and families have equal access to palliative care throughout the continuum of care.
Apply for Palliative Care Research Grants through the National Palliative Care Research Center
World Health Organization Releases New Palliative Care Booklet
The new WHO booklet, Palliative Care for Older People: Better Practices, provides examples to help those involved in planning and supporting care-oriented services appropriately and effectively.
Palliative Care in Hospitals Continues Rapid Growth for 10th Straight Year, According to Latest Analysis
Palliative care in U.S. hospitals has increased for the tenth consecutive year, according to a new analysis released by the Center to Advance Palliative Care (CAPC). The number of hospitals with a palliative care team increased from 658 (24.5%) to 1,568 (63.0%)—a steady 138.3% increase from 2000-2009. Learn more.
Stay Tuned: CAPC Will Release New State-by-State Report Card
On October 5th, CAPC will release America's Care for Serious Illness: A State-by-State Report Card on Access to Palliative Care. The report will be an update to the 2008 Report Card. Find out how your state rates.
Palliative Care Featured in US News & World Report
The newly released print edition of the 2012 US News & World Report Best Hospitals issue includes a feature story on the benefits of palliative care: "Another Way of Healing" by Michelle Andrews. Readers may also be interested in: Journal of Clinical Oncology, July 2011, Palliative Care and Quality of Life, by Diane E. Meier, MD, and Otis W. Brawley, MD.
2012 ELNEC Courses Announced
The 2012 dates for the End-of-Life Nursing Education Consortium (ELNEC), courses are now available. The courses include: ELNEC-Core, ELNEC-Pediatric Palliative Care, ELNEC-Geriatric, and ELNEC-Critical Care. Learn more.
CAPC Tools, Training & Technical Assistance
Upcoming Audio Conferences
The Family Meeting: A Fundamental Palliative Care Intervention
Wednesday, October 26, 2011
1:30 PM—2:30 PM Eastern
Palliative Care in the Emergency Department
Wednesday, December 7, 2011
1:30 PM—:30 PM Eastern
Join the 2011 National Palliative Care Registry™
Annually, when you register your program, you'll be able to:
- Track your program's structures and processes of care, year after year.
- Generate reports – now available for programs that completed registration in 2009.
- Receive a premium listing in the GetPalliativeCare.org Provider Directory.
- Be included in prevalence studies.
Get Answers to Your Questions on the CAPC Forum
Get answers from leading palliative care experts. Access CAPCconnect™ to post your questions or ideas. The CAPC online discussion forum is a free resource for health care professionals who want to share information, exchange ideas, and get advice from their colleagues on operational issues affecting their palliative care programs.
Palliative Care Leadership Centers™ 2011 Training DatesPlan ahead for 2011! Palliative Care Leadership Centers™ (PCLC) provides intensive, customized operational training and yearlong mentoring for both start-up and established programs. You can choose the training date and location that's right for you. Sessions fill quickly. Please register early. View the online calendar for training dates.
Convenient Online CoursesCAPC Campus Online™ offers a variety of CME/CE courses that will make a difference to your professional development. Join the hundreds that have enrolled. Courses include: Marketing for Palliative Care Programs; Hospital Cost Avoidance; Billing and Coding; Courses are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week. Enroll now. Only $35 per course, per student. Learn more and enroll
Palliative Care in the News
Articles of Interest
- The Hospitalist, September 7, 2011, Hospitalists See Value in Palliative Care, by Richard Quinn
- Journal of Clinical Oncology, September 7, 2011, , Palliative Care and the Quality of Life, by Diane E. Meier, MD, & and Otis W. Brawley (Subscription may be required)
- The Glencoe Enterprise, September 1, 2011, How Palliative Care Helps Patients, by Diane E. Meier, MD
- US News & World Report, August 2011, Another Way of Healing, by Michelle Andrews (Only available in print)
- The Washington Post, July 25, 2011, Hospitals make palliative care a priority to improve patients' quality of life, by Michelle Andrews
- Boston Globe, July 24, 2011, A Better Kind of Care, by Kathleen Burge
- HemOnc Today, July 18, 2011, Number of palliative care teams more than doubled since 2000, by Jason Harris
- Journal of Clinical Oncology, July 10, 2011, Palliative Care and the Quality of Life, by Diane E. Meier, MD and Otis W. Brawley (Subscription may be required)
- AAMC Reporter, June 2011, A Word from the President: Embracing the Value of Palliative Medicine by Darrell G. Kirch, M.D.
- The New York Times, June 6, 2011, Law on End-of-Life Care Rankles Doctors, by Jane E. Brody